Dr. Homayun Navaz, professor of Mechanical Engineering
Ph.D. from Rice University in Mechanical Engineering, with expertise in aerospace, propulsion, combustion, computational fluid dynamics, radiation and reacting flows in porous materials.
For Navaz, Kettering students are mature, experienced and successful. He feels Kettering students are more mature, respectful and familiar with the work environment than students at other universities. Navaz enjoys interacting with students and ensuring that they become successful. He came to Kettering to teach because he felt he had "experiences that students can benefit from."
He would tell prospective students that he thinks Kettering has "one of the best undergraduate programs with labs for them to acquire the hands-on experience they need."
Hidden talents and outside interests: With hobbies as varied as his research, Navaz enjoys running, tennis, music and flying.
Combustion, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Large Scale Computer program development , Multi-phase/multi-species flow, Porous Media , Radiation and aero-optics, Refrigeration
- Navaz, H. K., Amin, M., R. Faramarzi, Kehtarnavaz, N., Kamensky, K., and A. Nowakowski, Air Flow Optimization in Retail Cabinets and the Use of CFD Modeling to Design Cabinet, Book Chapter 4, Retail Refrigeration. To be published Dec. 2014.
- Atkinson, T., Navaz, H. K., Zand, A., Jackson, J., Nowakowski, A., “Fate of a Sessile Droplet Absorbed into a Porous Surface Experiencing Chemical Degradation.,” AIChE J, 60: 2557–2565, April 2014
- Navaz, H.K., Zand, A., Atkinson, T., Gat, A., Nowakowski, A., and S. Paikoff, “Contact Dynamic Modeling of a Liquid Droplet between Two Approaching Porous Materials,” AIChE J., 60: 2346–2353, February 2014
- Gat, A., Vahdani, A., Navaz, H., Nowakowski, A., and M. Gharib, “Asymmetric Wicking and Reduced Evaporation Time of Droplets Penetrating a Thin Double-Layered Porous Materials,” Applied Physical Letters, 103, 134104, 2013.
- A. Gat, H. K. Navaz, M. Gharib, “Wicking of a Liquid Bridge Connected to a Moving Porous Surface, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 703:315-325., 2012
- A. Gat, H. K. Navaz, M. Gharib, “Dynamics of freely moving plates connected by a shallow liquid bridge,” Physics of Fluids, 23, 2011
- Reacting 3D Jet/Shock Layer Interaction,” AIAA Student Journal, pp. 4-7, Spring 2001