Parental Notification of Underage Consumption of Alcohol & Illicit Drugs

Under the 1998 Congressional Amendment to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), Kettering University has the right to disclose to parents or legal guardians information about a student’s violation of University regulations and policies, and federal, state, and/or local laws governing the use of alcohol and controlled substances.

The University will notify parents/legal guardians of alcohol and controlled substance violations if we determine the student has dependent status. The Vice President of Student Life & Dean of Students determines the circumstances under which parental notification takes place.