Disclosure of Education Records

Kettering University will disclose information from a student's education record only with the written consent of the student, except:
1. To school officials who have a legitimate educational interest in the records.
A school official is:
  • A person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including Campus Safety and Wellness Center staff);
  • A person elected to the Board of Trustees;
  • A student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her task;
  • A volunteer or person employed by or under contract to the university to perform a special task, such as legal counsel or an auditor;
  • Agencies conducting business on behalf of Kettering University (i.e. National Student Clearinghouse, officials of the U.S. Department of Education and state and local educational authorities, accrediting organizations and banks).

Educational Need to Know: 

A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for Kettering University. 
2. To officials of another school, upon request, in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
3. In connection with a student's request for or receipt of financial aid, as necessary to determine the
    eligibility, amount, or conditions of the financial aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of the
4. To organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the university.
5. To comply with a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena.
6. To appropriate parties in a health or safety emergency.
7. When the request is for directory information (see below). 

Directory Information

Institutions may disclose information on a student without violating FERPA through what is known as "directory information.” Kettering University designates the following categories of student information as public or "Directory Information." Such information may be disclosed by the institution at its discretion.
  • Corporate affiliation
  • Degrees awarded, including dates (actual and expected)
  • Dates of attendance
  • Degree program (major field of study, concentrations and minors)
  • Degrees and honors awarded (including Dean’s List)
  • Enrollment Status (including full or part-time)
  • Honor Societies
  • Photo
  • Previous institutions attended
  • Class standing (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, graduate student)
  • Name, address and phone number
  • E-mail address

Solomon Amendment

Federal law requires that all institutions of higher learning provide directory information to the military upon request, including student name, address, telephone number, age or year of birth, academic major and level of education (e.g. freshman, sophomore, etc. or degree awarded). Where there is a conflict between the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), the Solomon Amendment would supersede FERPA. 

Student Consent for Disclosure  

Students have access to their grade, GPA and other information through Banner Web and should use this means to share information with any third party they wish. Students may request Kettering University disclose specific non-directory information contained in their education records to a designated third party by completing a Student Consent for Release of Records and submitting it to the Office of the Registrar. The authorization will be honored indefinitely until the Office of the Registrar receives from the student, in writing, a revocation of the request for disclosure. Kettering University assumes no liability as a consequence of honoring this authorization. 

Requesting Non-disclosure 

Currently enrolled students may withhold disclosure of directory information. To request that disclosure be withheld, written notification must be received from the student by completing a Confidential Status Request and submitting it to the Office of the Registrar. The confidential status will be honored indefinitely until the Office of the Registrar receives from the student, in writing, a revocation of the request for nondisclosure. 
Important Information: Withholding directory information means the university will be unable to verify degrees awarded or enrollment status for the purpose of employment, loan applications, insurance purposes, etc. The university will not even be able to confirm the person is/was a student.  Regardless of the effect upon the student, the institution assumes no liability as a consequence of honoring instructions that directory information be withheld. 

Key Contacts

  • Main Office
    (810) 762-7476
  • Grades
    (810) 762-9587
  • Graduation
    (810) 762-7852 (Master)
    (810) 762-9587 (Bachelor)
  • Guest & AP Credits
    (810) 762-9912
  • Registration
    (810) 762-7476
  • Transfer Students
    (810) 762-9912
  • Transcripts
    (810) 762-7476
  • Veterans and GI Bill
    (810) 762-9912